Deep Update (source file for spark-cli)

@gusgonnet, it got moved with the flattening of directory but it’s still there at:

https://github.com/spark/spark-cli or

https://github.com/spark/spark-cli/raw/master/binaries/deep_update_2014_06.bin

got it, thanks!

I’ve been trying to do a deep-update hoping to fix a breathing cyan turns to solid magenta problem. Cloud is obviously out, as it goes woof. The platform is OS X. If I use the ‘release’ version of the spark-cli, it tells me no dfu devices found. If I check out the version in git, as above, I get error message of the form

Error loading command /Users/MrPaul/xxx/spark-cli/commands/FlashCommand.js Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory '/Users/MrPaul/.spark/device-specs.json'

There are a few of these for different js files. Any suggestions?

Added: I’m willing to switch platforms if that will help (and VMWare will reflect the USB correctly, though it seems to do well on that score)

@MrPaul, how did you install spark-cli ?

Seems like it is not properly installed. Simply do a sudo npm install spark-cli if you have nodejs installed.

Otherwise, if you have DFU-util installed, we can perform a deep update as well.

I installed it, the first time, exactly as you stated. Running it gives a dfu device not found. Note if I put it in listening mode (instead of DFU mode), spark serial will list it, but nothing having to do with dfu works.

So I tried grabbing the git repo to get the latest, but that fails with the message I quoted. So damned with either version, just in different ways. I’ll probably try the dfu-util next, but I’m not holding a lot of hope that it will work if the spark utility didn’t work; I’m guessing they share some underlying stuff (could be wrong). I can generally chat with the core no problem over serial, it is just the DFU stuff that isn’t working.

Right now I’m trying it on Ubuntu, but in a VM, so that might complicate things slightly.

@MrPaul,

You will need to do sudo for Ubuntu since we don’t have a proper udev file for the machine to handle the dfu device

VM might make it a little tougher but just make sure that the device in dfu is attached and running the command sudo dfu-util -l should show the device

So, fired up a brand spanking new Ubuntu VM. First off, tried the spark-cli; interesting, same results as on OS-X, can’t find the device. Tried ubuntu version of dfu-util; no fun, too old it seems (0.5). So built dfu-util from sources, discovered the requirement for sudo, and presto! Both of my cores have the deep update applied, and both have lost the solid-magenta problem (for now at least…hopefully forever!).

They were put away for a while (read since original kickstarter) due to some frustration with the tools and unreliability, but things are looking more mature now and I have a project in mind; streaming data over UDP from a neato lidar. However, it requires constant attention to a 115000 baud serial line, so it’ll have to be done in manual/semi-automatic mode, which when it goes badly means no cloud updating, so I guess I’ll have to track down the procedure for doing USB loads. Hopefully the spark-cli will work for that now since it does simplify things some. I have another telemetry project in mind too that would like WiFI (I usually use XBees, but wifi definitely has its charms for some stuff)

Looking forward to the Photon! And the 3G even more :slight_smile: Thanks for your help, I’m sure I’ll be back with toolchain questions. And likely some manual mode questions, as there seems to be some issues surrounding that when you ignore all the cloud stuff.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like