Will there be a Spark Core II

My vote is bigger - a M4 cpu or better (with the DSP extensions) and more RAM/flash.
More pins isn’t so important since you can always produce a onewire breakout board to a DS2413/DS2408

3 Likes

My vote goes to a Spark GSM version

2 Likes

I think this is a very important thing that isn’t really covered well for new users.
IO can be extended!

It might be a good idea for simple extensions to be made and done with built in libraries and a tutorial can be added.
The tutorial can explain the chip used everything, as it is open-source, the hardware schematic can even be linked to help users make their own.

I really like this idea. I don’t need the DSP for myself, but I can see lots of applications for the FPU.

I would love for it to be FCC, IC, and CE certified with an EXTERNAL antenna! I want to put it in a metallic enclosure with a high gain outdoor antenna.

This awesome little wifi enabled IP obtaining jewel is a dream come true but, not even a dream is perfect.

I am for forking the Firmware to a local only version with built-in access login security. If this was done would it free up space for a tiny webserver ? (Hope, Hope)

2 Likes

I would be very very in support of a more expensive and more powerful core. With a focus around WiFI stability. These things could stand to be integral in a lot of ideas I have, but require far better connectivity to be realistic.

2 Likes

Hear you loud and clear sir. :slight_smile:

The :spark: elites will be roped in to research on future cores and yes, we heard you :wink:

1 Like

Hey what about a core that will run a full lamp server? :wink: ideal little web server when you link it with the sd card shield. Would maybe need faster wifi? Able to cope with high upload speeds, a database server would be awesome. I can just imagine 3 spark cores working together. One a database server, one a webserver, and the other a file server. 6 cores for full redundancy even just to mess about with.

2 Likes

Hi5! I love how people have the same idea about those stuff I dream all day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Running a full LAMP stack - how would that be different from a raspberry pi? (Other than wifi-enabled by default.)

Because… spark :slight_smile:

nah, the whole point of the spark to me is that its tiny and includes wifi. i’ve got beaglebones and raspberry’s but i wouldn’t use them in final products as they’re too large and have too high a power requirement. for anything final i’d use an atmega chip (not an arduino board) or a spark. who wants to run a lamp stack on a microcontroller?

2 Likes

Hey guys,

Just wanna say throw in your ideas here cos we are gathering them and Iron Man might hook up a Spark Core II soon? :smiley:

hmmm, now im not so sure i want to order some more sparks, if there may be a second out soon :frowning:

I don’t know how “soon” it might be. I know there is a natural progression to releasing a next-generation Spark, but I don’t think anyone can put any sort of estimate on it yet. New components need to be researched, sourced, tested, etc. thoroughly to find all the right fits. I think we can safely assume the timeframe is several months, at the very least.

In the meantime, I will still continue to get more Spark Cores as I need them. The Spark Team is still very hard at work refining the existing Core, and that is their primary focus. There is still so much potential in the current Spark Core to just let it sit until the “next big thing” hits the virtual shelves!

3 Likes

Those of you who essentially want an entire OS in there… Why don’t you just get a Raspberry Pi or whatever…? I mean you’re asking for something that’s already been done very well. It’d be a waste for Spark to just replicate the efforts (and existing products) of others.

Personally, I’d just want a little more flash memory & mHz, with as little sacrifice to the form factor as possible. Thumbs up for real FPU. :blush:

1 Like

Hear you loud and clear @noora :smile:

The Elites are always talking about running RTOS on future cores :smile:

2 Likes

It would be great to have one that could do https and have a bit more ram.

With a battery/solar shield and an SD/fram shield as optional extras…

And if someone could build a GSM/GPRS shield the size of a core and as easy to use…i would take 3 straight up… for when the net is down you know… and direct SMSing too

3 Likes

@Hootie81,

@kennethlimcp has created a MicroSD/Fram card (see this post) being produced at this time pending parts acquision by factory.

The Battery Charge II is in the works by @timb (I believe) @peekay123 is working on a Battery Monitoring Shield and hopefully the GMS / GPS shield is being designed as well; not sure at this time.

1 Like