SparkLE - A Bluetooth LE powered Spark Core clone

Wanted to post a quick update. Mainly I am just excited I finally got this working after running into a few stupid user issues, including reversing the ST-Link SWD interface after I read the datasheet backwards, not realizing my BLE breakout board was using the pin numbers of the chip and not the module, and forgetting to turn off HW flow control.

This is the first standalone prototype, with everything needed to run the Spark protocol over BLE on-board. That is an STM32F072 MCU which takes the data from the BLE module and handles the handshake encrypt/decrypt. Everything else is run on the nrf51822 chip, which I am currently using a Laird BL600. Power is running from the AAA battery pack.

Next step is to add the external flash and add a power circuit so I can shut off the STM32 at all times, except when I am doing the actual handshake. Those parts should be straight forward, then it is time to draw up the schematics, lay out some boards, and make some standalone SparkLE’s so I can work on the FW and integrate into my other project.

4 Likes