Question about Android Source usage in HomeController Project

Hi,

I have a little … maybe stupid question :smile:

But … perhaps I need to explain in short, what I’m trying to do…
I’m trying to create my own HomeController (Automation) environment build out of spark core’s and another board (UDOO). The idea behind it is that I have several sensor boards (cores) like : Smoke detection, motion detection, video surveillance, … that are connected to a central ‘core’ (the UDOO). I currently have a mechanism to search for enabled core’s in the current WLAN. And poll those for specific values. This is done by using a NodeJS application to monitor sensor statusses …

But what I’m trying to do is the following : I would like to create a java application to monitor the network for new core’s. When one gets available, I would like to ‘automagically’ register it on the spark - cloud and notify the end user that a new device has been discovered. The end user uses the interface to determine the type of sensor so the system is able to flash the core with the needed firmware (depending on the type of core). Once that fase is completed, the device would become available in the interface and you can monitor it’s state …

Now … the programming part is really no problem at all. I already have a great part of my ‘complete application’. I’m already able to monitor the core’s (or other types of ‘sensor boards’), when they are registered at the Spark Cloud.

But … my question is the following : am I allowed to do something like that ? Use the source of the OpenSource android app, to create my own ‘device registration’ ? Is it ‘legal’ to do that ?

Because … it would become really easy to add new sensors to the sensornetwork. And the end - user doesn’t need to know anything about the registering process … He / She just powers up the (spark core - ) sensor board in the network and the system does the rest … -> make it easy for your end - users …

So … i hope somebody can help me with this … And I really hope I can use the source to create my own app for this …

Oh … and if there is some interest in this … just let me know …

Thanks!!

Are you using the Ti SmartConfig.jar file in a distribution ? If so that might be an issue. Others may be able to comment further.

I do have a question for you though. A little background first. I am working on the privacy side of a home or business wherein a user is able to disconnect telephone & internet lines using the spark core. As I am not a programmer or at least for Java / Android development is it possible to interface a browser to control the spark core ? or does it have to be done via Android api ?

I just need to turn a relay on or off and that’s all.

This last question should have its own thread.

Im creating a complete web - based control for my HomeController. And I’m controlling my lights, sensors, … anything you want from this web - based application. So … to answer your question … Yes you can do it via a Web Based controller and NO it’s not necessary to use the android api

When you say web based application. Are you referring to http request or something like java or a compiled application ?