Forum upgrade on Monday!

Ahoy!

On Monday we’re going to be upgrading http://community.spark.io! It’ll be a one-two punch of better hardware and the latest edition of Discourse, our forum software. We’re looking at roughly two hours of work - there will be a couple hours where the site is in read-only mode and perhaps a couple of minutes of weirdness/blank pages while the DNS switch happens. The plan is to start at 3:30 p.m. CST and back to regular operations by 5:30 p.m. CST.

Let us know if you see any disruptions or anything before or after the hours listed above - otherwise, imagine a big green “Don’e Panic” scrawled over the screen if things aren’t working during the upgrade.

– tavares@spark

2 Likes

Currently undergoing forum migration, see you on the flipside, :). Will post here when we’re all done. Thanks!

If you’re seeing this message and this space cat below, it means we’re all done upgrading and migrating this here community site.

If you see any strange behaviors please let us know on this thread.

Thanks,

-joe

4 Likes

We had a few blips on the site over the last half hour due to a wonderful new feature Discourse added relating to rate limiting that was inadvertently misconfigured. The misconfiguration issue only showed up once lots of people started hitting the site. I’ve re-jiggered the settings and we should be good now.

Let us know if you see anything else unusual.

-joe

Nice job guys!

I'm not sure if this is my connection, but I see these sometimes:

Sorry, we couldn't load that topic, possibly due to a connection problem. Please try again. If the problem persists, let us know.

Also,

Error code 503 Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity

(guessing that had to do with the rate-limiting)

And this one:

And the top-navbar is behaving a bit odd on (at least) the admin section, as is the "Buy Now" button

I'm guessing that has something to do with custom CSS, although it appears to be working on most other pages.

Also, I noticed the names of the trust levels were (un)intentionally reset(?)

1 Like

Thanks @Moors7. Fixing this rate-limiting configuration issue should make these errors go away. Please let us know if not.

Other than the oddities with the admin page, the issues seem to have been resolved.

I didn’t see your message about the trust levels earlier, yea, this was unintentional/part-of-the-automated-upgrade path. The Discourse devs seem to have put a lot of effort into trust-levels, a badge system, and other cool social features. I’m looking forward to exploring what we can do with these new features and seeing what we come up with. I know @tavares is stoked about this, I certainly am.

If you’re curious what kinds of new forum features there are check out meta.discourse.org, we are running the latest Discourse, up from pre-1.0.

Cheers,

-joe

1 Like

After reading @Moors7 's post, I checked my own trust level, too and now I’m only “Regular” and my post count has been reset too.
Yesterday I had well over 2.000 (All), but now only 960 or so - I guess this is due to the fact that previously “All” counted direct replies, likes and possibly mentions/quotes as well, while the new one seems only to show my own.

Addition: Despite being “downgraded” to “Regular” I still see the “Lounge” section, which was only visible for “Leader” and above.

Not an actual problem, but more of an inconvenience: could you perhaps change the sorting order of the messages inbox? Athough I greatly appreciate the “welcome to Spark” message every time I open it, that’s sadly not the one I’m looking for, most of the time :wink:

2 Likes

@jgoggins can we unpin this?

@kennethlimcp unpinned

Curious, it appears the starred capability is no longer available. Is there a new way to tag threads and get a list of the tagged ones?

Yes, you can bookmark them, You have to click the three little dots next to the flagging symbol, and then click the bookmark item. Also, your previously starred topics can now be found under the bookmarked items. You can access those when you click your profile picture in the top right corner, and select ‘bookmarks’, or click the relevant button on your profile page.

Where? I can't seem to find three little dots - may be I should use my Donegan 10 Visor and look again :wink:

Ah - there is it!!! Thanks!.

2 Likes

Right about here :wink:

2 Likes

I got upgraded to leader and downgraded (not really) to regular within 24 hours :cry:

Jokes aside, on mobile (android) the forums seems to be a little smoother

1 Like