Failed connecting to WiFi

Having problems following the Quick Deploy instructions. Windows 7 installations.

Hey @russel2512,

May I suggest you outline your problems i.e. what did you do (step by step) and where you encounter problems? This way the technicians can better understand what, where and how to propose a fix.

Gd luck!

Just wanted to say that I had the same issues (CC3000, on-chip antenna) and it wouldnā€™t initially connect to the network. Flashing the new CC3000 firmware using the github repo did the trick. Thanks for the great support!

Hey, how did you do it? I canā€™t understand github :frowning:

The US only permits the use of channels 1 to 11, it may well be that the core's firmware has the same limitation.

Iā€™m having problems with Step 2. Install dfu-util. Iā€™ve downloaded dfu-util-0.7-binaries.7z and extracted the binaries for Windows. I downloaded Zadig and tried to run it. I registered the device with the WinUSB driver (I downloaded the drivers from the link). I get this when I try to run dfu-util.

D:\SparkCore\cc3000-patch-programmer-master\build>dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D cc3000-patch-programmer.bin dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Filter on vendor = 0x1d50 product = 0x607f
No DFU capable USB device found

It seems Iā€™m not doing something right with registering the Device.

Any help would be great.

Thanks - Russ

1 Like

The firmware only seems to enable the USB port in certain modes, do a factory reset (power up or press reset with the mode button pressed for 10 seconds) and it will probably work.

Hi Will.
I fired up an old Fon 2.0 router. The core connects fine to this, so it looks like itā€™s a problem to do with compatibility with my Cisco Aironet and my Hauwei MiFi devices.

Thanks for your help - spark core is awesome - looking forward to being able to dim the LED though!

Will.

No need to apply the patch to a functional Core; the patch was supposed to be applied on the manufacturing line, and most Cores should have it just fine.

@russell2512 The Core will only show up as a DFU device when itā€™s in bootloader mode (flashing yellow LED). To get there, hold the MODE button for 3 seconds while the Core is starting up (either while you plug in the USB port or tap the RESET button to reboot it while holding the MODE button).

Hi,

I have two cores, both of which seem to successfully receive the wifi settings (through both the iPhone app and by programming over usb) - they then proceed to flash green permanently.

Iā€™ve followed the instructions to flash the cc3000 on both cores and it appeared to work successfully (i.e. it flashed magenta then went solid. I did a factory reset and after the white flashes it went back to the standard blue flashing mode). Iā€™ve re-programmed the wifi settings using both the iPhone app and usb again and Iā€™m still stuck at the green flashing stage.

Iā€™ve tried to power the devices using an iPad charger and my macbook pro and still no joy (Iā€™m sitting just a foot or two away from my wireless router, a sky (uk) router from circa 2007 and Iā€™ve also ensure that it is switched to a channel less than 12).

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try next?

(Just saw the comment above re: WEP, Iā€™m also using WEP and the router supports b/g only, not n).

Thanks

Mark

I disabled channels above 11 on my Cisco Aironet Router - Spark Core connects ok now!

1 Like

Thanks! That worked for me. I had one core that worked and one didnā€™t. After flashing, they are both connected. It will be nice when this is packaged together a little nicer or even a separate set of instructions so that someone can more easily follow without worrying about the extra stuff for build.

1 Like

@wdj Great! So glad to hear it :smile:

Iā€™ve just switched my network over to WPA-PSK and my core has connected - definitely an issue using WEP.

Mark

2 Likes

Got two chip-antenna spark cores (kickstarter); one gets as far as rapid-flashing-white, never makes it to pulsing; the other gets to rapid-flashing yellow with a pulse of ā€œwhiteā€ every 10s or so.

AP: Asus RT-N66U, the 2.4ghz side set to ā€œlegacyā€ mode (tried the spark core app from my Galaxy Note 3, always failed to find any cores, probably because I canā€™t tell Android to not use N, though setting up a b/g-only ā€œguestā€ network didnā€™t work eitherā€¦) Authentication set to WPA-Auto-Personal, but WPA2-personal didnā€™t work either.) Channel in uses is 6.

USB setup of the SSID and Password appeared to work (got as far as Spark <3 you! anywayā€¦)

Addresses are in 10.2.x.y so I used dfu-util to flash the newer cc3000-patch-programmer.bin from github, didnā€™t make a difference.

What next? What addresses (or, I hope, DNS names) is the Spark Core trying to reach for cloud registration, so I can confirm that works? I can tell that the modules are both getting IP addresses because they show up in the network map and /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases on the RT-N66U, so it seems like the hard part actually works :slight_smile:

I put it into bootloader mode. Got:

Opening DFU capable USB deviceā€¦ Cannot open device

Checked Device manager. Core shows up as DFU device. But It shows this:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Do I need to do something different in ZADIG?

Thanks - Russ

I received my Spark a few days ago and finally got around to trying it out. Iā€™ve run into the canā€™t connect to my network problem like the rest have seen (blinking green light). I ran the CC3000 firmware patch on the core (twice). Tried two different access points (Apple Airport Extreme, Old Linksys WRG54) and even my iPhone providing a hotspot. No dice.

I did notice there was an error in the CC3000 firmware patch install at the end. (See Below). Could this be my problem?

Additionally the iPhone app could never locate it.

Not a great initial experience so far.

ā€” David

$ dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D cc3000-patch-programmer.bin
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Opening DFU capable USB deviceā€¦ ID 1d50:607f
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [1d50:607f] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash /0x08000000/20001Ka,108001Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interfaceā€¦
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ā€¦
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
No valid DFU suffix signature
Warning: File has no DFU suffix
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08005000, size = 23216
ā€¦
File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state
Error during download get_status

No, that error message is normal.

1 Like

Hmmm. More info I guess - my house network doesnā€™t have any encryption or password, but my phone uses whatever iPhones use. In both cases, however, the Spark wouldnā€™t connect.