Failed connecting to WiFi

Did you say you’re running your core on one of these? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mylimeade/limeade-blast-18000mah-ultra-high-capacity-battery

Sweet! I’d be curious to see what kind of battery life the core gets on one of those… :slight_smile:

I do have that exact model–will have to try it for sure! Though it’s a lipo under the hood, I think the output is switched so it might be too dirty for anything other than charging a phone, but I’ll have to hook it up to my scope and see how clean it is. It couldn’t be any worse than raw power from usb on a computer motherboard. (but the only thing dirty power would seem to affect is the ADC readings)

I just thought it’d chime in and let you know I’m also having the same problem with both of my Spark Cores. They both start flashing green during the setup process, and eventually the app times out and they continue to flash.

Here’s what I’m using:

• iPhone 5s,iOS 7.0.4
  • Time Capsule, late 2011, WPA2 (literally 3 feet away)
  • Powering the cores off a MacBook Pro

Same issue. Flashing green.
Linksys E4200 router
Galaxy 2 Tablet
Tried USB

Giving this a following up:

So what’s the current point of resolution or things-to-try? What should we attempt next? Giving the firmware an update? If so, can someone point me to a resource that could help me achieve such a feat?

Many thanks!

“No Cores found”. Chip antenna. I tried two different networks. It just flashes blue indefinitely. I tried reset and factory reset, and the lights flash as expected during the resets. But it doesn’t work. Very sad.

It seems a few people are having this problem.

I hope it’s just a firmware issue or something relatively easy to fix.

Same issue. Flashing green.
Linksys Wireless-N router
iPhone app
Tried USB

Tried all resets/shutdowns/restarts suggested…

Same issue, flashing green, tried usb. Did both many times. Went through all debugging routines. iphone app.

Will you notify us when new firmware is available and the process for loading it? I could not connect on the serial port either (I used cool term) so I am at a loss on how we will load it.

The LED colours aren’t going to tell you much.

Did a factory reset and waited for the flashing blue.
Connected to the core via USB.
Typed W to set up the core, LED stops flashing (either off or solid blue, dpending on when in the flash sequence the W is sent).
Hit enter after typing in the SSID and password, LED goes straight to flashing green.

I don’t think there is anything else that the core can tell us :frowning:

Hey @markj,

It sounds like you’re using an 802.11n wifi router, can you try making sure it’s in b/g legacy or mixed mode? If your phone is connected over 802.11n, the core probably won’t hear the smart config over wifi.

Thanks!
David

Hi @aarphacker,

When connecting to the stock firmware over serial, make sure the core is in listening mode:

https://vine.co/v/hFHlpBDELeU

When connecting over serial on a mac, you should see something like ‘tty usbmodem,’ if you don’t, try refreshing the list of devices. Your serial settings should be 9600 8-N-1 like the picture below:

If that doesn’t work, can you email me at david@spark.io this morning, or hello@spark.io and we’ll help get your core going.

Thanks!
David

Okay, mega post!

@nigle, @Josh, @heghead - We’ve identified a bug in the firmware that we’re rolling out a fix for today that has to do with how much power the core asks for from your computer. If you haven’t already, can you try powering your core’s using a cell phone charger or wall wart?

@russel2512 - it looks like the E4200 is also a dual-band 802.11n router, can you see if there is a setting to make sure it is in mixed or legacy mode so the core can connect? It sounds like you tried setting credentials over USB, can you describe what behavior you saw?

@bruce - it sounds like smart config isn’t working with your setup. Can you try sending credentials over usb: http://docs.spark.io/#/connect/connecting-your-core-connect-over-usb , and let me know what phone / network you have?

Hi Dave! Love the avatar (and the game to which it refers).

Unfortunately I’m still having the same problem, even when using a wall wart

Here’s a vine showing my green flashing.
https://vine.co/v/h2AzYTgZ7Te

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help - I’m happy to try anything.

Running from a power supply makes no difference, I already though of that!

Just tried again, but with a decent meter to measure the current. Sarts off at about 30mA, increases to 138mA once the LED starts flashing green.

2 Likes

Hey @heghead,

Thanks! If you haven’t tried this, could we wipe the saved wifi profiles, and send the connection info again maybe over USB?

http://docs.spark.io/#/connect/troubleshooting-step-3-reboot-and-clear-memory

Each core received a patch for the CC3000, but in case that didn’t take properly on your core, can you check and see if your router is handing out addresses in the 10. range, or if it’s in the 192. range? The old CC3000 software had a problem on 10.* networks. WPA2 shouldn’t be a problem, but your router also needs to be in ‘mixed mode’, or ‘legacy mode’ so the core can connect over 802.11 b/g.

Thanks!
David

Hi @nigle,

You are awesome, thank you for the current readings. It sounds like Zach is right and we should try the user-space cc3000 patcher when we release it today and see if that fixes things. Thanks for being so thorough, and thanks for your patience!

David

Hey everyone, just wanted to jump in with a very high level comment here to remind everyone that there are multiple issues here and the solution will not be the same for everyone.

When the Spark Core LED is flashing green, it means that it isn’t successfully connecting to your Wi-Fi network. There are dozens of reasons why this might be the case. So before jumping in, please make sure that you go through the troubleshooting section of our documentation:

http://docs.spark.io/#/connect/troubleshooting

Those of you who have already commented, please confirm that you have tried all the steps in this troubleshooting document.

@nigle and @Blocky82, we finished the CC3000 patch, I’m just testing it now; will send it your way in a couple of hours. If that works, we can share with the broader group. Could the two of you send me your github usernames?

The router is handing out 192.0.0.x addresses
It is set for b and g, it doens’t support n
It is using WEP with a 64 bit key

Github user name is nigle