Failed connecting to WiFi

Thanks everyone my core patching is done, the deep update bin wasn’t helpful for me so I went with Spark flash --CC3000. Sorry for the inconvenience :smile: hail Spark

Those who are using linux spark-cli would be a great asset than dfu-util :smile:

1 Like

Hello all,

I am trying to connect my spark core to wifi but I am unable to claim my core.My network settings are:
Wifi mode:B/G/N Mixed
Wifi channel:6
Security type-WPA2-PSK
WPA Algorithm:TKIP
I am trying to connect to the cloud using my wifi data card.Once i enter spark setup in CLI,i enter the ssid,password and security type but the core doesnt breathe cyan.It keeps blinking green.I bought the core two weeks back so I think the CC3000 patch should have been updated at the factory.But still i tried flashing the patch.
What could be the reason for not connecting to the cloud?
Thank you

You might need to disable the N-mode and try again.

Also, place the core in DFU mode and manually perform a deep_update with spark flash --usb deep_update_2014_06

Thank you @kennethlimcp .Its connected to cloud now.

1 Like

HI - Had my Spark core for a few days and it worked out of the box! Connected to my router/network with no problems through my android phone. Even uploaded a small flashing LED program. Used it for 3 days no problems.

Today when I want to start a serious project I get the flashing green.

I have followed everything in this thread and still cant get it to work again. I have change my router settings to WPA2 (although it has been working fine for days with the original settings).

I have flashed cc3000 from post 277 - and got the blinking magenta/solid magenta, then done a rest.

I have used putty to set up SSID and password.

I have deep_update flash (but the led colours were not like cc3000, no megenta).

What else is left for me to do? What have I done wrong.

How can it be working fine and then just stop? I have spent many hours trying to get it to work again - nothing seems to help.

Tomorrow I will try another router - but it was working fine on this one.

Thanks - any help appreciated.

HI All,

I have tried my spark core else where and it still does not connect to wifi other wifi.

1. I have reinstalled my DFU driver using zadig
  2. I have dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D cc3000-patch-programmer.bin
    and got the flashing magenta then solid magenta. Then reset.
  3. Tried to connect with my android phone using tinker - no luck.
  4. used putty to input SSID etc. It flashes green but never connects.

(I have chosen ch8 on my router WPA)

What can I try now? This is very annoying as it was working out of the box - and I have not put it in a circuit or anything like that, so I could not have broken it. It just decided to stop working.

Should I return it back to the shop?

Thanks.

Hi @rmim,

Hmm, that sounds really frustrating!

Can you try the latest patches included with the spark-cli ( https://github.com/spark/spark-cli )?

Make sure it’s installed / upgraded to the latest version then, and connect it in DFU mode (blinking yellow), then:

spark flash --factory tinker
spark flash --usb cc3000
spark flash --usb tinker
spark setup wifi

If that doesn’t work, then can you email us at hello@spark.io, and we’ll get you a replacement if needed.

Thanks,
David

thanks for the reply Dave. I will do that.

1 Like

I just got a Spark Core - managed to get it to connect fine once using wifi setup over USB/serial, and claimed it successfully. Then when I went back to it a few hours later, it failed to connect, flashing green.
Router credentials are correct and it is on channel 6, using WPA2.
Did a deep update, and went through the stages mentioned above (factory tinker, usb cc3000 and usb tinker).
Have tried running off a 500mA power supply right next to the router.
Still no joy though - anything I can attempt that I’ve missed?

Thanks Dave,

I tried all suggestions on this forum, but this was the only resolution which worked for me. On Windows I have multiple dfu devices with the same parameters (different names), so I ended up on OSX to complete this. I was having difficulties on OSX to get spark installed (due to serial port) this was solved by installing XCode Command Line Tools.

Roger

2 Likes

Hi @royshearer,

Hmm. We know it was working for a time, so the core initially got online, had the right credentials, etc, etc.

###Router sanity checks:

• what’s the size of your DHCP lease pool / lease time? Is there an IP address available for your core?
  • is there a pending firmware update available for your router?
  • this might be silly, have you tried turning your router on and off again?
  • don’t place the core too close to your router, it should be at least 1 ft away

###Environmental sanity checks:

• different usb cable
  • different power supply
  • is the core wet or cold?
  • is the core seated in a breadboard or is anything drawing too much power from it?
  • is there 1cm of clearance around the antenna on the antenna end of the core? (opposite of the usb jack)

###Core sanity checks:

• is there an antenna firmly attached to the core?
  • try pressing down gently on the cc3000 module on top
  • try fully unplugging the core, letting it rest, and reconnecting

More troubleshooting steps here:

http://docs.spark.io/troubleshooting/#troubleshooting-can-t-get-connected

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
David

Thanks @Dave, will try those. How can I find out about DHCP lease pool / lease time, is that a property of the home router?

Hi @royshearer,

Yes, that’d be in the advanced settings for your router, probably under a DHCP section.

Thanks,
David

Hi Dave,
This worked for me! Thanks a lot.
FYI, before I tried your solution, I tried following.

• Plug Spark Core to MacBook Pro
  • Push and Hold MODE button
  • It’s start blinking blue
  • Open the iPhone App
  • Type Wifi password and Connect
  • Wait 30 sec, still blinking blue.
  • Tap STOP button and connect
  • Solid Blue
  • Blinking green
  • Wait 2 min, but not getting cyan, still blinking green

Also tried following but didn’t work

• Tried several times steps above
  • Double checked the password is correct.
  • Used different USB cable
  • Used different USB power source
  • Turned on/off Wifi router
  • Used different Wifi access point
  • Factory Reset
1 Like

I often have problems with the Spark iPhone app. It’s not reliable, there are times it actually grabs the wrong core, one that was already setup and running an app!

using the CLI command 
spark setup wifi

Always works for me!

After 6 hours of frustration, this was the only solution that worked. TrendNet TEW-812DRU router, using the 2.4 Ghz network.

I’m not sure it’s the routers fault. I have been able to get it work some times - probably 20% of the time. WIthout looking at the code it would be difficult to point any fingers.

FWIW - if they changed the SSID password entry UI to remember the password - would help considerably in reducing the frustration. It’s does not always work on the first try, maybe 3-4 times it will finally work - so again I’m not sure its the router. There may be settings as @Dave indicates that they have found would help reduce the problem.

1 Like

Hi,
I just received my core and I have the same problem. My led keep blinking green and doesn’t connect. I have tried about everything in this post. Checked everything on core and updated the firmware to factory, deep and C3300 patch, but it still refuses to connect.
What else can I try?
Thanks in advance

I agree. I changed every conceivable setting on my router including trying an open network with no security; nothing worked. I was only successful in connecting after utilizing the command line tools to update the firmware, and now it works very reliably with WPA2.

1 Like

Did you get it to connect? While I was troubleshooting, I turned security off for my router just to make sure that there wasn’t some misconfigured security setting (such as WPA vs WPA2) causing the problem. My problem ended up being resolved with the command-line update of the firmware - nothing else worked.

1 Like