Failed connecting to WiFi

Hello everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that we’ve found at least one possible solution to those Cores that flash green when all other settings and network conditions are correct. We were able to get a Core to connect by re-running the patch programmer which updates the firmware of the CC3000, and are going to make that patch available to everyone in the next few hours. We’ll be posting a new topic in the community with full instructions, so hold tight a little longer. Hoping that this fix helps out a bunch of people that are seeing this issue :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast response. My poor Core has been in the house less than 24 hours and he wants to get to work (or fun).

it was in listening mode and it indicated it was connected but it would np take either command - nothing happened

I’ve seen some issues where the Core isn’t responding over serial that are resolved by shutting down the serial connection but leaving the program open, unplugging the Core from USB, plugging it back in, and re-scanning serial ports, and giving it another try. If your Core is still unresponsive to both “i” and “w” commands, it doesn’t resolve the issue, or you’ve already done this, then I would suggest holding tight until we’re able to provide the patch programmer fix to everyone later today.

2 Likes

Just want to drop a note to say thanks to the Spark team for being so great at keeping the communication responsive and the feedback loop tight. I feel assured that you guys are not running away but actively seeking and working hard to help us resolve these issues.

It’s really appreciated. At least by me. :blush:

Again thanks and please keep the awesome comms going! Look forward to the patches soon.

4 Likes

Thanks @visualdensity, appreciate the kind words!

Ok everyone, we believe we’ve got a fix. We had a Core in the office that was misbehaving in the same way that some of you have described (flashing green despite all intervention), and we fixed it by applying the CC3000 firmware patch.

This firmware patch was supposed to be applied during manufacturing, but it seems that it might not have been successful on a small number of Cores. In the future we will revise our testing/programming process to ensure the patch is applied successfully.

Before I share the patch, keep in mind - there are lots of reasons why your Core would be flashing green, and most of them are simply due to an inability to reach the Wi-Fi access point (no antenna, too far away, not enough power, wrong password, etc.). Before applying this patch, please complete all steps in the troubleshooting documentation first:

http://docs.spark.io/#/connect/troubleshooting

Ok with all that said, here’s the patch!

Follow the Quick Deploy instructions in the README to apply the patch to your Core:

Over the next couple of weeks, we’ll wrap this and all of the other command-line nasties in a prettier tool so they’re not such a pain. However if you’re eager to get started, try this, and let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Hello,

I still have not received my Spark and I do not have problem but I want to help on this issue.
I found this tool for windows (DfuSe) so I want to ask whether it can be used for update?
If working with Spark this would be a good solution for users of Windows!
The software has a tool for converting HEX and Bin files in DFU format.

More details on the following link : http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/FM147/CL1794/SC961/SS1533/PF257916

I’m having this same problem, with a Cisco Aironet 1130AG access point on a Mikrotik 750G Router. Every other WiFi device in my house connects ok. I’ve tried re-flashing too.
Also doesn’t connect to a Hauwei 5331 MiFi 3G router. Just stuck on the green flashing LED.

Hey @wdj. Sorry to hear your having problems. When you say you’ve tried re-flashing too, do you mean you followed the instructions for applying the patch programmer?

As people have discussed, another likely fix to get your Core to connect is the make sure it’s being powered by a power supply capable of providing 500mA. We suggest using the little wall wart adapters that are commonly used for charging cell phones.

A full list of known solutions for this and all other issues with the Core can be found here.
Send us a PM at hello@spark.io if you’re still having issues.

Woo hoo!!! @zach I’ve just patched applied the patch and boom! All working now. Woo hooo!!!

Thanks so much for following this through. Really really appreciate it!

Actually, should I apply this same patch to my other core which was fine?

Or should it just be left as is?

Hi @zach,

After applying the patch, my spark core still wasn’t working. I decided to experiment further with my wifi settings.

It turns out that my network was set on channel 12, changing to channel 10 solved the issue for me!! YAY! You should consider placing info regarding the wifi channel settings on the “Checking the basics” documentation.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

Re-flashing the spark core fixed the problem for me, and I’ve now got the blue LED flashing with a basic sketch from the web IDE. Thanks for the help!

Having problems following the Quick Deploy instructions. Windows 7 installations.

Hey @russel2512,

May I suggest you outline your problems i.e. what did you do (step by step) and where you encounter problems? This way the technicians can better understand what, where and how to propose a fix.

Gd luck!

Just wanted to say that I had the same issues (CC3000, on-chip antenna) and it wouldn’t initially connect to the network. Flashing the new CC3000 firmware using the github repo did the trick. Thanks for the great support!

Hey, how did you do it? I can’t understand github :frowning:

The US only permits the use of channels 1 to 11, it may well be that the core's firmware has the same limitation.

I’m having problems with Step 2. Install dfu-util. I’ve downloaded dfu-util-0.7-binaries.7z and extracted the binaries for Windows. I downloaded Zadig and tried to run it. I registered the device with the WinUSB driver (I downloaded the drivers from the link). I get this when I try to run dfu-util.

D:\SparkCore\cc3000-patch-programmer-master\build>dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D cc3000-patch-programmer.bin dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Filter on vendor = 0x1d50 product = 0x607f
No DFU capable USB device found

It seems I’m not doing something right with registering the Device.

Any help would be great.

Thanks - Russ

1 Like

The firmware only seems to enable the USB port in certain modes, do a factory reset (power up or press reset with the mode button pressed for 10 seconds) and it will probably work.