Failed connecting to WiFi

Have managed to find a DFU-Util download in another thread (thanks Nic).
Will try flashing the firmware.

@Dave or @kennethlimcp
Question: which is the best firmware version to use on a current shipping Spark Core? Download link please?

If you are using Spark-cli, update it to the latest using npm update -g spark-cli

The latest tinker from https://github.com/spark/spark-cli/tree/master/js/binaries will be download.

you can then use 2 commands to update them:

spark flash --usb tinker and spark flash --factory tinker

This will overwrite the existing user firmware and also load the latest tinker in case of a factory reset :wink:

This was the magic juice! :smile:

Thanks @foggy - it’s now breathing!

Thanks @kennethlimcp for this info. It has helped me better understand the process. All your previous work also helped me understand what was happening.

Can I suggest the comment by @foggy at #253 be elevated to a top level in the support system somewhere? It would have saved me an enormous amount of time.

Please ignore my request @Dave - I am sure you have other more important things to do - keep up the great work and I look forward to getting my hands on a Photon soon :smile:

1 Like

Had the same problems as mentioned above with board recieved today (blinking greed ad infinitum), 11/14/2014. Applied cc3000 update (follow instructions on Spark’s GitHub – requires node.js – here https://github.com/spark/spark-cli) and problems went away… Dfu-util binaries were downloaded from user @MDMA from this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54378433/dfu-util/dfu-util.exe, on this thread https://community.spark.io/t/latest-2014-dfu-util-for-windows-compiled/5264/2

Thanks Spark for making the rest easy! You guys are truly amazing.

2 Likes

One of my spark cores also suddenly went into green flashing mode, while the others are still working ok. I did a factory reset, but this didn’t help so I tried to use the DFU-UTIL. However, I’m failing half way.

I connected my core through the USB port and put it in DFU mode (yellow flashing) and using the Zadig program instructions I install the libusbK driver.

I then downloaded DFU-UTIL through the link of nh43de, since the http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/ link is broken. I also downloaded deep_update_2014_06.bin. I put both in the C: root directory of my windows laptop en opened the command windows.

Then I type dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D deep_update_2014_06.bin

*C:\>dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D deep_update_2014_06.bin
dfu-util 0.7-msvc
Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org
Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 1d50:607f
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash  "
Downloading to address = 0x08005000, size = 93636
Download        [=========================] 100%        94208 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state*

After a brief cyan, the green flashing starts again. Another factory reset doesnt help.

Any advice how to proceed?

Can you use spark flash --usb cc3000 to patch?

Once that is done, use spark flash --usb tinker to reload the user firmware.

You should now be required to send in wifi credential

Hi Kenneth
Thanks for your reply. Without sounding too much of an amateur. How would I do that?
Spark is not a function, so I cant type in the command in the command line of windows.

sounds like you did not have Spark-cli installed. But no worries!

You can use this command : dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D xxxxxx.bin but download the 2 binary file i mentioned here: https://github.com/spark/spark-cli/tree/master/js/binaries

1 Like

Hi Kenneth
That link directs me to 4 binary files. Can you explain me, step by step what I need to do? Upload which binary first, etc.

Regards, Rutger

The name corresponds to cc3000 and tinker are the once you are looking dor.

Flash the cc3000 and the core will blink magenta till it blinks yellow again. With that, flash the tinker binary file :slight_smile:

Hi Kenneth,
Still not able to do it :frowning:
If I now call the dfu-util function, it mentions that there is no DFU capable USB device available. Since I already used the Zadig program to install the libusbk driver, such a device is visible in the windows device manager. Either removing and reinstalling the device or the driver doesnt help and keeps on giving the same result.

That’s weird. You managed to use DFU-util before right?

Be sure not to use a USB 3.0 port and place the core in DFU-mode (blinking yellow) before testing :smiley:

Sometimes, a damaged USB cable might cause an issue too…

It wasnt so weird. I forgot to put it in DFU mode. Sorry about that :smile:
Thanks for your advice kenneth. He’s up and running again!

1 Like

I'm experiencing the Green Flashing Mode also where the Spark will not connect to the Wifi after it has been off for a few. The only way to get the Spark sending Temp and Humidity data gain is to push the reset button. It has been doing this for a few weeks now.

I have recompiled the code and applied the latest firmware update via the online interface so I'm running the latest patch.

Just saw others were having the same issue.

Hi all! I’m having trouble connecting to WiFi - I am experiencing a constant flashing green. After failing with the app setup on my iPhone 6 Plus, I moved to USB setup.

Steps I’ve taken so far (with dfu-util and spark-cli installed and updated):

1. factory reset
  2. spark flash --usb cc3000
  3. spark flash --usb tinker
  4. spark setup
  5. after entering SSID and pass, constant blinking green

I then performed the following:

1. factory reset
  2. spark flash --usb deep_update_2014_06
  3. spark setup
  4. again, no dice, blinking green

Finally, I tried the following:

1. factory reset
  2. clone spark-cli repo locally
  3. dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D cc3000-patch-programmer.bin
  4. dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D spark_tinker.bin
  5. spark setup
  6. again, blinking green

(for this attempt, dfu-util output included below)
C:\Users\Jacob home>dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D C:\dfu-uti
l\cc3000-patch-programmer.bin
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt

Opening DFU capable USB device…
Claiming USB DFU Interface…
Setting Alternate Setting #0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08005000, size = 25240
Download [=========================] 100% 25240 bytes
Download done.
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state

C:\Users\Jacob home>dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D C:\dfu-uti
l\spark_tinker.bin
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt

Opening DFU capable USB device…
Claiming USB DFU Interface…
Setting Alternate Setting #0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08005000, size = 79996
Download [=========================] 100% 79996 bytes
Download done.
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state

I am fairly close to my wifi router (approx 5 ft away). It is a NETGEAR WNDR3800. I have it currently set to “Up to 300Mbps”, which I am assuming allows for b/g/n. I am using WPA2-PSK. SSID is broadcasted. Channel is set to AUTO.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide to help with troubleshooting!

EDIT: Actually, I just made a change to my router config to set channel to 09, and now the spark is connecting just fine. Huh.

2 Likes

Well I have moved the device from my place to my parents’ house and my original solution no longer works… I have tried my own, @foggy 's suggestion, and @jakez834 's steps but no avail (haven’t tried setting channel to 9 yet however). They have four different routers and it will not connect to any of them. It would be nice if there were an easy way to debug/diagnose the problem.

I’m curious to know why switching channels helped you out?

Could being on a different channel (different frequency, or bandwidth I’m not sure) ensure that Core has no interference from other high traffic channels?

i came here to seek help for the blinking green light error… despite following instructions to the t, nothing seemed to help. then i also tried to switch channels, which worked. yet, there was only one overlapping network here, but it seems to have been the problem.

still this behavior is a bit unreliable since other devices in the same spot have no trouble with wifi, and more importantly i had been using the core in a real-life application for quite a while already. it wasn’t until recently that it started misbehaving.

The cc3000 is a little unstable and usually patching it works fine. Doesn’t happen often but you might encounter this issue.

Let us know if you need more help!