Customs problem with Sparks

Hi,

I received the tracking number (RS903180941CH) on 12th Dec. I checked the Swiss Post site and everything was going smoothly, till the package reached Mumbai (India). Then there was no update on the site for almost 15 days. Early this week, received a letter from Indian Customs department asking for details, which I provided them.
What I was informed by them was as follows: ā€œIt is always advisable to follow the instructions given on the reverse of the CN 23/ CN 22/ CP 72/ CP 71 Customs Declaration form (see Google search) at the time of booking for the rapid clearance of the parcel.ā€

I guess this is something you may want to incorporate in future shipments.

BTW I have still not received the package, which is frustratingā€¦ I was looking forward to working with the devices asap :frowning:

Iā€™m from Kerala, India and got my Spark Core without any customs issue. It took time though.

1 Like

@amit - Iā€™m really sorry that itā€™s taken some time for your package to clear through customs. Weā€™d be happy to pass on your feedback to our logistics provider, who has been responsible for helping us navigate the labyrinth of customs declarations. Our goal is for each package we send to reach our customers with minimal delays. Would you mind letting us know what kind of details they asked of you, so that we might be better prepared for future shipments?

Hi,
Following details were asked from me:

1. Invoice, certificate of origin
  2. Justification
  3. Copy of Import/Export Code No
  4. Payment Particulars.

Iā€™m not sure if this is the only information required, however the following links provide additional information:

https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/customs-forms-v8-5a.htm#_Toc347740175

You could also search the web for Forms CN 23/ CN 22/ CP 72/ CP 71. This is what the customs guy told me. I would have uploaded the file, but its 11 MB and a .pdf, which is not allowed to be uploaded, sorry!!

Thanks
Amit

@amit Just wanted to say thanks for the willingness to share this info, as @will says itā€™s super helpful for us to provide this feedback to our logistics company. Apologies for the extra work required for you though!!

Iā€™ll also pass along that your package hasnā€™t arrived yet and see if thereā€™s anything we can do :smile:

Although I didnā€™t have any issues with customs, I just want to let you know, that I found a yellow sticker on my package that said: ā€œGoods not fulfilling the conditions prescribed by Articles 9 and 10 of the Treaty establishing the European Economic Communityā€

Iā€™ve no idea what this exactly means and if this will be of significance, but I read in Article 10 that there might be a one year period to get matters sorted. So maybe it might become of significance some time in the future.

I understand that it only means the package did come outside of the European Union Customs Union and local customs officer could have pick it for further inspection. If you got the package without paying custom duties, it means they were too busy or didnā€™t think it was too valuable.

That 1 year thing in text means the first year after a new country joins in the union, so nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Hi,

I have problems with german customs as wellā€¦

After receiving an email that there werenā€™t proper customs documents I got great and quick help from Stephanie by getting an invoice from her for clearing customs.

But the german customs office still refused to hand me the package because they said they need to investigate if there are any legal bans or restrictions that prohibit importing the spark core.

This may have something to do with the spark coreā€™s wifi feature, because after I mentioned the ā€œkeywordsā€ electronics and wifi they explained to me, that they have to investigateā€¦

Now I ask myself if the Spark Core needs some kind of certification for the RF part, that it does not influence other devices in harmful ways?

Markus

Hi Markus,

Hmmā€¦thatā€™s frustrating. Well there are no legal bans or anything at least :smile:

As they can see on our packaging, the Core is CE (and FCC) certified.

If it helps you can point them towards the CC3000 moduleā€™s Declaration of Conformity (which the Core is covered by): http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/swrq004/swrq004.pdf

You are also welcome to put them in touch with me (or vice versa) if that would help.

Stephanie

Hi,
Finally the package arrived at my home. But with a customs clearance charge for INR 3000 (almost USD 50). Iā€™m not sure if I should accept the package where the customs charges are almost 50% of the cost.

Feeling totally frustrated. What options do I have?

Thanks
Amit

Hey @amit - that sucks but unfortunately we have very little control over customs, and weā€™re shipping to 61 different countries that all handle this very differently. At this point Iā€™m not sure what advice we can offer; you can of course choose not to accept the package, but then you wonā€™t get your Coresā€¦

Hi, I have sent a mail at hello@spark.io as I have some queries.

Thanks
Amit

Hi,

I got a new letter from the german customs office and bad news...

The Spark Cores were examined by the "The Federal Network Agency for Electricity, Gas, Telecommunications, Post and Railway (Bundesnetzagentur)".

They are denying the importation of the Spark Cores due to "human health concerns" since it is a non conform product as defined by

VO (EC) 765/2008 (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:218:0030:01:EN:HTML):

Article 29.
National measures

1. Where the market surveillance authorities find that a product presents a serious risk, they shall take measures to prohibit that product from being placed on the market and shall require the authorities in charge of external border controls to include the following endorsement on the commercial invoice accompanying the product and on any other relevant accompanying document or, where data processing is carried out electronically, in the data-processing system itself:

"Dangerous product ā€” release for free circulation not authorised ā€” Regulation (EC) No 765/2008".

1. Where the market surveillance authorities find that a product does not comply with Community harmonisation legislation, they shall take appropriate action, which may, if necessary, include prohibiting the product's being placed on the market.

Where placing on the market is prohibited pursuant to the first subparagraph, the market surveillance authorities shall require the authorities in charge of external border controls not to release the product for free circulation and to include the following endorsement on the commercial invoice accompanying the product and on any other relevant accompanying document or, where data processing is carried out electronically, in the data-processing system itself:

"Product not in conformity ā€” release for free circulation not authorised ā€” Regulation (EC) No 765/2008".

I'll try to gather more detailed information why they made this decision, but for now they are planning to return this shipment to the sender within a month if I don't send in a written objection...

Since this decision was made by the Bundesnetzagentur I think it has something to do with the wifi...

Is there any other backer from germany who has received his cores or has had similar problems?

Thanks,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Do you know what they need as part of an objection? Is there some information we can send to you to help on this? Maybe the CE certification etc?

Thanks!
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I will try to get more information tomorrow morning on what basis they made this decision.

But CE certifications may be helpful, since that should hopefully proof that the Spark Core is in conformity with EU regulations! :smiley:

Thanks in advance!
Markus

Hi Stephanie,

Why you stop answering emails? I hope you are OK?
Please send a correct invoice, from the posts before I know that your forwarder do not handle the paperwork properly.
I have no mood to spend weeks after weeks later on.

Thanks in andvance
Martin

Sorry about that Martin - Iā€™ve been traveling a ton recently. Iā€™m pulling in Teke who will be happy to provide an invoice if you need one for your shipment @Teke