Troubleshooting: My Core is flashing yellow/red lights after it connects to wifi

Looks like the drivers match up

Drivers #1

Drivers #2

Thanks for checking and all your help.

I was about to give up and had tried both USB on the front of my PC and I thought I’ll just try one on the back - and this time it worked. No idea why , but I’m a happy bunny now. Hopefully even happier once I get the keys swapped.

1 Like

It’s been a long journey but I’m up and running.

One extra bit of info. In step (5) above when you generate your private key make sure it’s an even length (file size shown in directory listing) otherwise it wont upload to the core in step (7) and you will see this message and the core will come out of DFU mode.

Downloading to address = 0x00002000, size = 609
Download from image offset 00000000 to memory 00002000-00002260, size 609
Error during download get_status
Failed to write whole chunk: -7 of 609 bytes

If it is an odd length then just repeat step (5) to regenerate your keys until you do get one that is even length and then you’ll get this in step (7)

Downloading to address = 0x00002000, size = 608
Download from image offset 00000000 to memory 00002000-0000225f, size 608
File downloaded successfully

K

2 Likes

Thanks everybody for your efforts!

I think I have that problem :frowning:
Just sent a note after following the above instructions.

Hello,

This might also help windows users:

Before step 6, I would add step 1.4 Zatig from this post https://community.spark.io/t/the-spark-core-firmware/532.

For step 8, instead additional details can be found here: https://community.spark.io/t/installing-the-usb-driver-on-windows-serial-debugging/882.

Have a nice day,
dk

so for us that has this problem. Are you sending us a new Spark Core?

Hi @sjunnesson,

The orange blinking problem indicates that the keys on the core need to be updated, but otherwise the hardware on the core is perfectly intact. It’s possible to fix this problem at home quickly, and we’re working on a command line tool that will make it even easier. If you’d rather go the replacement core route, we can certainly do an exchange instead, but there is some delay involved due to very low availability.

Thanks!
David

I will put it in the pile of Cores to use later, have 20 of them so have spares. Please ping me directly when the tool comes available.

Sure thing, I gave myself a task in our task tracker to ping you when it’s ready. :slight_smile:

I’ve now got a core that won’t connect to the cloud - get’s stuck in the last rapid cyan flashing (cloud handshake?).

When I try to save the old PK, with

dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 1 -s 0x00002000 -v -U old_core_private_key.der

It looks like it’s trying to dump all memory, which doesn’t seem right:

Filter on vendor = 0x1d50 product = 0x607f
Opening DFU capable USB device... ID 1d50:607f
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [1d50:607f] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=1, name="@SPI Flash : SST25x
/0x00000000/512*04Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #1 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuUPLOAD-IDLE, status = 0
aborting previous incomplete transfer
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
DfuSe interface name: "SPI Flash : SST25x"
Memory segment at 0x00000000 512 x 4096 = 2097152 (rew)
Limiting upload to end of memory segment, 2088960 bytes
   Poll timeout 30 ms
bytes_per_hash=1024
Starting upload: [#####################

This continues for a long time.

I’ll try making a new private key, although any other tips you have appreciated.

Ahh, if you add ":size" to your request it'll limit how much it's pulling down. I generated a new der file locally, and it was 609 bytes, but I don't remember offhand if that changes (I think it does). It's trickier to read out for that reason that's why I've been recommending writing new keys. :slight_smile:

dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 1 -s 0x00002000:609 -v -U old_core_private_key.der

Is it possible for this to still be happening on units shipping out now? I just got mine a couple days ago, and after it connects to wifi, there is fast flashing cyan, followed by fast flashing red.

After a while it will go back to fast flashing cyan and repeat the cycle.

Hi @annon,

That’s a good question! This shouldn’t be happening now, but we’re seeing some users report this issue even after the second wave of manufacturing (although much much less). I’m going to review our process again and continue to cut the rate down as far as possible.

Thanks,
David

I got mine last week and it has this problem. Just send my public key and core id to Spark. I have spent too much time just to connect this thing to Spark servers. I thought this is supposed to be easy. Better quality control is needed.

1 Like

Thanks @rawmean,

Glad we got you back up and running quickly after you sent your key.

I can tell you I literally sat on the factory line during the second manufacturing run to try and avoid this problem the second time around! :slight_smile: Unfortunately part of this has to do with the strict security in place to protect messages sent from the core, so it’s a trade off, but we’re trying to make sure this happens as rarely as possible.

Thanks,
David

Hello Dave, I have some problem .

I done 1~8 already.

9.) connect to your core over serial, and hit ‘i’ to get your core id
I used usbserial and CoolTerm(Mac),goSerial(Mac), connect to the Spark Core RX,TX
I don’t see any response from console.
(I just tried to use the same usbserial to connect the cubieboard (ARM), it works .)

This is the spark core strange lighting video .
http://youtu.be/fzZIn5Ad1qg
Maybe it still in recovery mode ? How can I reuse it ?

Thank you .
(sorry for my english ability)

Hi @peterlee0127,

The serial config on the core is expecting to talk to you via the virtual usb port serial interface. Can you use that com port instead of the hardware tx/rx pins?

Thanks!
David

Thanks for reply.

Yes, it works.
I will send the key and core id .

Thank you.

1 Like

I have gone through these steps and emailed the public key and core ID to:

But it's been about 3 days an no reply or even ack that the email was received. How long does it typically take for turn around on these?

To be sure I just plugged in the core again to verify it's still stuck at the handshake.