Failed connecting to WiFi

Thanks, I finally figured it out and got it working. Connected to the cloud yea!!

1 Like

Watch out! When I download the cc3000-patch-programmer.bin file it was 51548 bytes in size. I downloaded 4 times in different ways. 3 of the downloaded files were 51kB. One of then
was 29464 bytes. That was the correct file. This 29kB file is a different size than reported in the postings above. Can I suggest that checking the size of the file before using dfu-util might be added to the instructions? And that the file size is mentioned! Thanks.

All working now I have re-flashed. I got there eventually but the instructions could be just a little bit better. This was my 3rd of 3 cores and my 1st problem. Thanks very much.

In reply to the 1st post in this thread: Wrong link! This gave me an incorrectly sized file. Make sure you get the raw file. 29kB not the 51kB shown as the size on the page.

I downloaded an itā€™s 51KB for the latest .bin file.

The 29KB one sounds like and older version should you downloaded in Jan 13.

Old file is here: https://github.com/spark/cc3000-patch-programmer/blob/3d88f76e9af873eb0dde92c650b269f701f7480f/build/cc3000-patch-programmer.bin

In summary, thereā€™s no issue if you downloaded the file from the main branch. You will get the latest build and safely flash if without much worry about the file size.

Unless the downloaded got you a corrupted file which rarely happens :wink:

@kennethlimcp, as I reported, when I tried to upload using the 51kB file it did not work. Perhaps you might try and load the 51kB file to your own core and report back?

Good find @psb777, thanks for posting about this.

Weā€™re making some changes in the bootloader for future manufacturing runs, and the patch programmer had been updated accordingly. I didnā€™t realize it was a breaking change however, so it shouldnā€™t have been on the master branch.

Iā€™ll make sure we get the latest master branch in a state where users can download straight from there without a problem.

Right now, the latest patch programmer binary users with existing Cores should use is this one from Feb 13. Itā€™s 23472 bytes.

GitHub issue here, assigned to @satishgn:

@zachary @psb777 @kennethlimcp, I just flashed the latest master branchā€™s cc3000-patch-programmer.bin file of 51KB (51548 bytes to be precise) on my Core, pressed the Mode button for 3 sec to start the patching process(blinking Magenta). On solid Magenta, did a Factory reset and/also tried loading the latest core-firmware.bin. Tested the patch-programmer using both the old bootloader(https://github.com/spark/bootloader/releases/tag/spark_0) as well as the latest bootloader master branch. I can confirm it works fine in both the cases.

Flash Result:
$ dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D build/cc3000-patch-programmer.bin
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Filter on vendor = 0x1d50 product = 0x607f
Opening DFU capable USB deviceā€¦ ID 1d50:607f
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [1d50:607f] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash /0
x08000000/20001Ka,108001Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interfaceā€¦
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ā€¦
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
No valid DFU suffix signature
Warning: File has no DFU suffix
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08005000, size = 51548
ā€¦
File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state
Error during download get_status

@satishgn. I have the V1.0 as well.

Let me flash the same cc3000-patch-programmer.bin file on my :spark: core tonight and share the result :smile:

@zachary and @satishgn,

Just want to let you guys know that i got the same results as @satishgn.

Some details:

1. Spark Core V1.0 (from kickstarter campaign)

2. cc3000-patch-programmer.bin file size is 50.3 KB (51,548 bytes)

3. Did a factory reset and sent my wifi credentials over wifi

4. Breathing cyan as i admire it from far :smiley:

I just made a minor edit to the instructions for the patch-programming

Yes, but for clarity, @kennethlimcp, did you test the previous 51kB version? The one you said was correct?

New version? Which version are you referring?

I downloaded from here:

Seems like you downloaded from the same url tooā€¦

Just here to help but if you feel offended iā€™ll appologize to you :smile:

My intention is to help with testing, make sure we know the actual issue and resolve it ^^

There is, @kennethlimcp, now a brand new 51kB version which has overwritten the 51kB version which I reported as broken, and which Zachary confirmed was broken, and which has been replaced, overwritten.

Honestly...nothing got changed since 22 days ago...

And the 51kb file size i used is the same as you downloaded:

How about you give it a try again and we might be able to see what's causing the issue? :smile:

Well, then I am confused. See https://community.spark.io/t/failed-connecting-to-wifi/648/167 posting by @zachary above.

Basicallyā€¦ @zachary realized there ā€˜mightā€™ be an issue after updating the core-bootloader code causing an issue with the cc3000-patch-programmer on older devices (V1.0)

so @satishgn has tested it out and I did the same and the result is --> the changes didnā€™t break the cc3000-patch-programmer.

Hope itā€™s clear!

Please try again and see how it goes. I guess it should really work fine! :slight_smile:

@psb777 perhaps you could give it another try and see if it works better this time around? If you are having issues we definitely want to try and get them resolved.

I no longer have any issue with the core. As I reported, it now works. I thought the 51kB file did not work. I tried it 3 times. I found a different version of the file. That worked. Or seemed to. It is possible that I had mistakenly tried the 51k file a 4th time, not 20-something k version. It is also possible that the core (my 3rd - the other 2 worked fine) would not accept the 51k file and that the other older version is the one it needed. I do not know in which way my 3rd core was different to the 1st 2 other than it did not connect to the WiFi. What I did to get it working remains the question but Iā€™m not now sure we can determine that! Itā€™s been flashed and flashed again since then with application firmware. Anyway, look, Iā€™m happy enough, more than happy with Spark.io.

2 Likes

I just received my core today and itā€™s not working either. Itā€™s stuck in flashing green. I tried changing the mode of the router in multiple modes (Iā€™m using a Netgear WNR3500v2 router) and canā€™t get it working. I tried the factory reset, I tried resetting it back into listen mode, I tried restarting the app altogether, every single attempt ends up with the core flashing green and my phone app saying ā€œNo Cores foundā€. Iā€™m kind of out of options at this point.

Anything I can do to get this working? I was really hoping this was going to be the quick, easy development it seemed to be when I read about and ordered it. To have this much trouble out the gate is really frustrating.

Hi @cradleinflames

Flashing green means that it has your WiFi credentials (SSID and password) but it still cannot connect. There are two steps really: first the app find the core and tells it the SSID and password, then the core connects to that network (usually!) and then needs to be claimed. You seen to be stuck at step one.

Have you tried the USB setup procedure? That worked great for me on a tricky network.

The troubleshooting page is here:

http://docs.spark.io/#/troubleshooting/